Allahabad HC notice to Centre, UP ATS on detention of Kashmiri students

By TCN Staff Reporter,
Allahabad: The Allahabad High Court on Friday issued notice to Central Government and Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorism Squad to inform the court on how and why the two Kashmiri students of Jamiatul Falah were picked up on 24th May morning from Kaifiyat Express at Aligarh Railway Station and where and in which condition they are right now.
Hearing the habeas corpus petition filed by Maulana Tahir Madani, Director of Jamiatul Falah, the High Court has verbally strongly condemned the modus operandi of the police and anti-terror agencies. The court asked the agencies if they want to create disturbance and disharmony in the society by doing such acts going out of law, if they want to create havoc in a particular community.
The court has issued notice to Union Government of India, UP ATS, SP and DM of Azamgarh and SSP of Aligarh and given them 3 weeks time to respond.
Talking to TCN soon after the court order, counsel for the petitioner Advocate S Farman Ahmed Naqvi said the court was very angry over picking up of youths in the name of terror probes. The court has given them three weeks time.
Giving his own observation on the incidents of illegal picking of youths, Advocate Naqvi said: “It is really unfortunate. The incidents show the apathy of political masters of the police and anti-terror agencies as well. These pickings are completely illegal.”
He said Section 57 of CrPC says within 24 hours of detention of a suspect, the police must inform the guardian of the person and produce before the court. While section 5 and 6 of DK Basu guidelines of Supreme Court gives only 10-12 hours.
Reacting over the high court order, Maulana Tahir Madani said: “We are happy with the order of the court to uphold the rights of the citizens. We hope full justice from the court.”
He also said that agencies responsible for the illegal detentions should be brought to book and punished.
ALSO READ  JCC mulling indefinite strike | Police foils JCC programme, 200 arrested