Authorities foil Eidgah chalo, impose curfew, detain leaders

Srinagar: Authorities on Thursday foiled ‘Eidgah chalo’ march of resistance leadership by imposing strict curfew in Old City here while rest of the Valley observed a complete shutdown amid restrictions at several places on day 34.

The resistance leadership had asked people to march towards martyrs’ graveyard Eidgah to pay tributes to Sheikh Abdul Aziz who was killed on August 11, 2008 during a march to Muzzafarabad. Since early morning, thousands of police and CRPF men were deployed all across Srinagar and all roads leading to Eidgah were sealed with concertina wires.

The curfew in Maisuma and Batamaloo areas also remained in place to thwart possible protests while rest of the city observed a complete shutdown. Reports said that though the situation remained peaceful across the Srinagar but clashes erupted between youths and retreating government forces men in the evening. Amid strict restrictions, protests and clashes broke out at several places in day including at Nawa Kadal, Kak Sarai and Zampa Kadal.

In wake of ‘Eidgah Chalo’ call, the chairmen of two Hurriyats, Miwaiz Umar Farooq and Syed Ali Shah Geelani, defied their house detentions and tried to march towards Annatnag but police detained the duo.

Though the public transport was completely off the roads here in city, some private vehicles and auto-rickshaws were seen plying on the roads of civil lines including at Residency Road, MA Road, Dalgate, Rajbagh, Jawahar Nagar, Batamaloo and Sonwar. As per the programme of joint resistance leadership, the shops opened in several parts of the city after 6pm including at Lal Chowk

For the fourth day, the vehicles on Srinagar-Jammu, Srinagar-Baramulla-Kupwara and Srinagar-Bandipora were also seen plying in good numbers today as heavy forces were deployed to prevent protesters from disrupting vehicular movement.Reports said that a massive pro-freedom rally held at Talangam village of Pulwama district and was attended by thousands. The rally participants were holding scores of Pakistani flags and it concluded peacefully.

A police spokesman said: “The situation in the valley remained by and large normal barring few incidents of stone pelting by the miscreants. Although restrictions under section 144/CrPC remained in force in the Valley, curfew was imposed in some parts of Srinagar, Pampore town and Anantnag town only.

“Miscreants pelted stones on security force deployments in Goriwan area of Bijbehara, Anantnag. Later on they were chased away by using mild force. In Srinagar a group of miscreants pelted stones on security force deployments near Kakasarai in the jurisdiction of Police Station Karan Nagar, Srinagar. They were chased away.” (GNS)

Download Our Android App and Stay Updated 24x7. Download Now