Chattabal Killing: Our brother was coming back from his duty, says wailing sister

Srinagar: Stating that their beloved son was innocent, the family of Chattabal youth, Reyaz Ahmad Shah who was killed by forces on late Tuesday evening asked government to investigate the matter and come out with the facts.

While talking to the reporters, the younger sister of the slain youth said, “Our brother was not part of any protest, he was coming back from his duty. And there were no protests going on at that time,” she said, while wailing at her home.

“I don’t know why the forces killed my brother what was the fault of Reyaz (her brother).”

She questioned that if the government is claiming that forces don’t open fire on the innocents then why her brother was killed. “I appeal to the government to investigate the killing of my brother as how and why my brother was killed,” she said.

“The marriage ceremony of our sister is scheduled to be held after four days but unfortunately the forces killed our beloved brother, which shuttered our dreams and hopes as well,” she said.

She said that her brother who was an ATM guard was coming back to home after performing his duty but unfortunately he was killed.

Meanwhile, protests erupted in Chattabal area of Srinagar after body of Riyaz Ahmad Shah, was retrieved from roadside in late hours of Tuesday night.

Riyaz according to the family was found dead near Syed Mansoor Sahab (RA) camp (near SMHS hospital), in mysterious circumstances.

As soon as the news of his “death” spread in the areas, people took to streets and began protesting.

Thousands of people offered the funeral prayers of Reyaz. Amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, thousands of people after defying the curfew in several areas marched towards Idgah and offered funeral prayers of the slain youth.

“He was later buried in the martyr’s graveyard at Idgah,” family said.

Meanwhile, clashes between protesters and forces broke out in Lethpora in Pulwama district after the body of the youth who was killed by the personal security guard of Additional deputy commissioner, Ramban on Tuesday evening, was today laid to rest after funerals by the mourners.

Farooq Ahmad Kuchay,32, son of Ghulam Nabi Kuchay, was killed by police security guard of the ADC Ramban, Babu Ram, when he fired in his head from inside the Scorpio in which the official was travelling.

Farooq was a truck driver who was to be married next month.

Witnesses told KNS that as soon as the funeral prayers were offered and his body was laid to rest.

Mourners had arrived from many nearby areas, including Hatiwara, Chandhara, Pampore, Ladoo, Khrew, Hajibal, Barsoo and dozen other villages to offer funeral prayers.

Meanwhile, police said that they have registered FIR against the PSO of the officer under section 302. (KNS)

Download Our Android App and Stay Updated 24x7. Download Now