Day 48: Curfew, shutdown, protests continue in Kashmir

Srinagar: Curfew, restrictions and shutdown continued on the 48th straight day in Kashmir while the reports of clashes were reported from couple of areas against the civilian killings in Kashmir.

A top police official told KNS that curfew and restrictions remained in force in most parts of Srinagar, Pulwama, Kulgam, Anantnag and other parts of district. “The curfew and restrictions were imposed to thwart any possible protests against the civilian killings in Kashmir,” he informed.

Witnesses said that huge contingent of police and paramilitary troopers were deployed on roads and streets. “They had erected concertina wires on roads as well,” witnesses told KNS.

In South Kashmir, Kehribal area of Anantnag district witnessed a huge pro-freedom rally.

Reports said that thousands of people assembled in Kehribal area and raised pro-freedom slogans.

The pro-freedom rally witnessed pro-Khalistan slogans as well.

Speakers from different sects also spoke on the occasion including, Mir Hafizullah of Tehreek-e-Hurriyat, Er Farooq of Hurriyat Conference, Sheikh Gulzar and others.

Meanwhile, amid strict curfew imposed by the authorities in Prichoo village in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, the residents as per reports alleged that the forces barged into their houses and beat up the inmates.

Reports quoting locals said, “Forces barged into the homes, beat up the inmates, and damaged household items like washing machines and refrigerators,” said a villager.

Massive clashes had erupted in the village yesterday after forces foiled a pro-freedom rally.

Several forces personnel, including few officers, were wounded in a grenade blast in the area yesterday.

Meanwhile, a youth was injured after he was hit by a tear-gas shell fired by forces in north Kashmir’s Bandipora area.

Reports quoting eyewitnesses said that clashes broke out in Qazipora Bandipora when youth were holding a protest rally and forces fired tear-gas canisters to disperse them.

The injured youth, identified as Asif Ahmed Sheikh of Qazipora was shifted to Sub District Hospital Bandipora for treatment.

Earlier, clashes erupted in Kaloosa area of the district when youth tried to hold a protest rally against the civilian killings in Kashmir.

However, a huge posse of police and paramilitary forces intercepted them and fired several tear smoke shells.

According to KNS correspondent, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Mehjoor Nagar and Lawaypora areas of Srinagar.

“Forces use tear gas canisters to disperse the agitating youth during the clashes in the areas,” witnesses told KNS.

Meanwhile, according to a statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters, Kashmir, six incidents of stone pelting were reported from Srinagar, Sopore, Kupwara and Bandipora throughout the day. “These incidents were reported from Lawaypora in Srinagar, Hatlangoo; Warpora in Sopore, Khurhama in Kupwara, Watpora; Kaloosa in Bandipora,” the statement said.

It said apart from these incidents, the overall situation remained under control across and valley till filing of this report.

The statement further adds that following improvement in the situation, increased movement of vehicular traffic and people was observed in most parts of Kashmir including Srinagar city.

“However, curfew remained in force under the areas of few Police stations of Srinagar, town Anantnag, Pulwama and Pampore,” it said. (KNS)

Download Our Android App and Stay Updated 24x7. Download Now