Day 65: Wadwan teenager succumbs, death toll mounting

Srinagar: With no let up in clashes and injuries on 65th straight day on Sunday in Kashmir, one more youth from Wadwan area of central Kashmir’s Budgam district who was had received bullet injuries on August 5 during the clashes in the locality has succumbed at SK Institute of Medical Sciences in Srinagar.

However, many civilians were also injured in Kashmir during the protests and clashes throughout the day.

A youth from Wadwan area of central Kashmir’s Budgam district who was injured in forces’ action in Narbal has succumbed at SK Institute of Medical Sciences in Srinagar today.

A SKIMS doctor while confirming the death of youth said “a youth identified as Javaid Ahmad Dar, son of Ghulam Muhammad Dar, resident of Wadwan Budgam breathed his last at the hospital around noon on Sunday.”

According to the doctor, Javaid was admitted to the hospital with a bullet injury in leg on August 5. “The bullet had torn apart his popliteal artery which had necessitated an amputation and resulted in renal failure,” said the doctor.

Meanwhile, hundreds of people who were carrying Pakistan flags participated in the funeral of Dar.

Witnesses said that Dar was later laid to rest amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.

Following the death of Dar, the whole area was tense while stone pelting was going on at many places in the central Kashmir district, local sources said.

Clashes erupted between youth and forces in Wadwan area during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the agitating youth.

Meanwhile, forces resorted to tear smoke shelling to foil a freedom rally in central Kashmir’s Budgam district resulting in injuries to scores of people.

Sources said that the rally was to be held at Rathsun area of Budgam district.

They said that soon after the people assembled in the ground of a local mosque in the locality, forces came and started firing tear smoke shells.

However, they said that after forces action people who dispersed earlier re-assembled and started pelting stones on forces.

According to KNS city correspondent, clashes erupted between youth and forces in the wee hours of this morning at Chota Bazar area of Srinagar during which scores of people were injured.

Witnesses said that in the wee hours of the morning, the youth took out to streets and were asking the vendors and shopkeepers to close down their business.

However, forces came in the area following which youth pelted stones on them. “Scores of people were injured after forces used tear gas canisters and pellets to disperse the youth who were throwing stones on them,” witnesses told KNS.

However, reports said that restrictions were imposed in scores of residential areas in Srinagar today to thwart any possible protests against the civilian killings in Kashmir.

Meanwhile, protests and minor clashes were reported in a few areas during the day as well.

South Kashmir
Dozens of civilians were injured during fresh clashes between government forces and stone-pelting protesters in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district, police sources said.

Thousands of residents of Karimabad and adjoining areas took to streets on Sunday morning to protest against the alleged nocturnal raids conducted by government forces, a police official said.

The protestors started pelting stones at the security forces who retaliated by firing tear smoke shells and pellet guns, he said.

Twenty injured persons have been referred to various hospitals in the city, the official said.

Meanwhile, reports said that a huge pro-freedom bike-and-car rally was organised in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district today, which began at Qaimoh and passed through various interior villages of the district.

Witnesses said that people from Qaimoh, Khudwani, Redwani, Rampura, Gofbal, Frisal, Kujar and Yaripora participated in the rally.

The protesters raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans while marching ahead.

Meanwhile, a strict curfew remained in force in Anantnag town to foil a march called by Tehreek-e-Hurriyat (TeH) leaders.

The local leadership of TeH had called for “Lal Chowk Chalo” today.

Reports quoting witnesses said that “forces were deployed in strength in the townwhile barricades were erected to prevent the movement of pedestrians and motorists.”

They said all the entry and exit points of the town have been sealed by the forces.

Meanwhile, reports said that at least six persons were injured after forces used tear gas canisters to foil the proposed rally in the area while the witnesses alleged that forces raided a rally in Anantnag district and attacked the venue of Zamalgam-Dooru rally, triggering massive clashes.

They said that at least six persons were injured during the forces action while the clashes that erupted between youth and forces in the locality were ongoing till late hours today.

North Kashmir
According to KNS correspondent, Bhat Zahoor, at least ten people were injured after forces foiled the proposed pro-freedom rally at Markundal Hajin area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district.

“Soon after the people from adjoining areas including Khumina, Barabad, Buchwari and Naidkhai started marching towards the venue, forces came and resorted to tear gas shelling and pellets during which ten of people were injured who were treated locally,” witnesses said, adding that forces also vandalized venue triggering clashes in the area.

Clashes were ongoing for late hours in the area,” they said.

The locals according to KNS correspondent alleged that scores of bikes and a car under bearing number JK05B-6933 were burnt by the forces in the area. “Forces also ransacked the residential houses in the area,” they said.

Meanwhile, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Sopore area of Baramulla district during which forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth.
Witnesses said that scores of people sustained minor injuries during the clashes.

Police Version
According to Divisional Commissioner Kashmir, Baseer Khan, there was no curfew today anywhere in the Kashmir valley.

“However, restrictions were imposed in few places in Srinagar as also in some towns in the Valley,” he said.

He however said that the overall situation in Kashmir remained under control throughout the Valley.

Meanwhile, as per statement issued by the Zonal Police Headquarters Kashmir, stray stone pelting incidents were reported from Sopore, Pulwama and Budgam.

“There was increased movement of traffic in the city Srinagar as well as in the towns. Shops were opened at various places and people were seen making purchases,” the statement said. (KNS)